This update is a two-day program for current TCI certified trainers to learn the content and revisions to the Therapeutic Crisis Intervention for Families (TCIF) curriculum. TCIF is based on the TCI6 core curriculum but revised for families and family-type settings. Edition 4 stresses crisis prevention and de-escalation strategies and the topics presented will include; the effects of trauma on children; preventing crisis by creating a safe and secure environment; emotional competence; negotiating rules and expectations; using consequences; assessing what the child feels, needs, and wants; and developing individual crisis management plans. In addition to reviewing minor revisions in the TCIF curriculum, new techniques and skills to help prevent and de-escalate crises will be demonstrated and then practiced.
Day One: This provides an overview of the new additions in the TCIF curriculum, 4th edition, including the following topics, the effects of trauma on children; preventing crisis by creating a safe and secure environment; emotional competence; and inappropriate versus understanding responses with active listening. At the end of the day, participants will review and practice physical intervention techniques to prepare for Day 2 testing and evaluation.
Day Two: This focuses on negotiating rules and expectations; using consequences; assessing what the child feels, needs, and wants; and developing individual crisis management plans. All participants will be tested with written and competency based tests in order to be re-certified.
Materials: Participants successfully completing the update, receive a TCI4 reference guide, activity guide, student workbook, and CD to use in their direct training.
**This Course is only available to TCI Trainers.
- Participants will be able to:
- Identify additions and changes to the revised TCIF materials
- Describe the effects of trauma on children
- Assess what children feel, need, and want
- Demonstrate how to negotiate rules and expectations
- Demonstrate using consequences appropriately
- Develop individual crisis management plansNOTE: If you need any TCI Workbooks, Certificates of Attendance, etc., you can order them through Safeguards. You can get to the TCI Order Form by going to Safeguards’ home page and clicking on the blue “Therapeutic Crisis Intervention” button.