Understanding the impact of trauma on one’s development, identity and behaviours is imperative when providing support. This training will explore the neurobiology of trauma and its impact on those with a developmental disability and/or mental health problems. It will offer a reframing of behaviours through a trauma-informed lens. Participants will walk away with a toolbox filled with strategies to best support individuals using evidenced-based strategies.
This training will use a variety of modalities to meet the diverse needs of learners such as audio/media, interactive activities, and times for reflection.
1) Describe types of trauma, their effects and impacts
2) Understand the neurobiology of trauma
3) Identify signs and symptoms of trauma
4) Reframe their understanding of behaviours through a trauma-informed lens
5) Develop a toolbox of strategies
Note: For those who may have taken “Trauma-Informed Supports: Building Capacity for Direct Support Professionals”, this is a similar training with a few new components.