Acceptance and Commitment Therapy is an evidenced-based approach that aims to improve our ability to be psychologically flexible when challenging situations arise in our work and life through the following 6 domains:
- Identification of our values
- Increasing of our ability to live in the present moment
- Defusion from our challenging thoughts and feelings
- Identifying the part of ourselves that notices and observes our internal and external actions, sensations, thoughts, and emotions.
- Acceptance skills that increase our ability to hold our difficult thoughts and feelings
- Putting it all together through committed action and a plan that moves us towards the life we desire and the person we want to be
Through audio, video and interactive materials, participants will be equipped with a variety of tools and resources to apply in their personal and professional lives. They will be provided with an opportunity to access these materials and to put to practice these skills using a learning platform.
This course is delivered online as four 3-hour interactive virtual sessions using Zoom. It will be spaced over four weeks. Participants will have access to online learning modules using a learning platform to supplement live sessions. Materials available on the learning platform include:
- Audio, video, and interactive materials
- Discussion forum and practice activities
- Downloadable resources and handouts
- Session recordings
This course is recommended for anyone that would like to learn the ACT approach and how to apply it to their personal and professional lives.
- Identify important core values in order to create a life compass that directs oneself to the life they desire or the person they want to be.
- Explore specific grounding and mindfulness techniques in order to engage in meaningful activities.
- Recognize challenging situations (e.g. thoughts and feelings) and develop strategies to address these thoughts and emotions.
- Create a personal action plan that applies the learnings of ACT.