The CPS approach focuses on building helping relationships and teaching at-risk kids the skills they need to succeed across a variety of different settings. It is a strengths-based, neurobiologically-grounded approach that provides concrete guideposts so as to operationalize trauma-informed care and empower youth and family voice.
In Tier 2 Advanced Concepts, participants will learn how best to facilitate skills development using the Collaborative Problem Solving (CPS) approach relying heavily on using real examples from participants’ experiences. We recommend at minimum, a 3-month gap after you complete the Tier 1 Training, before attending The Tier 2 Advanced Training, so you’ve had an opportunity to apply and practice the CPS model.
Participants will begin to learn how to integrate CPS with other approaches and therapeutic models and how to support others using the approach and address common questions and misconceptions. The training focuses on deepening your skills at all phases of the collaborative approach and enhances your implementation in the real world. This will be done through various strategies including lecture, case studies, role-plays, videotape examples, and breakout groups.
- Prerequisite: Collaborative Problem Solving (CPS) Intensive Tier 1 Training.
- Attendance: When registering, you are signing up for all four sessions. Attendance is required for each day as the learning builds upon the previous session’s content.
- All participants must join via their own devices. If joining as a group, each person should be on an individual device
- Troubleshoot all aspects of CPS, even in the most challenging situations.
- Utilize CPS in group settings, emergency, and spontaneous situations.
- Apply CPS in a neuro-biologically informed manner.
- Work with other adults rooted in conventional wisdom.
- Use CPS to enhance cultural responsiveness.
- Identify strategies for ongoing learning and application at home, work, and in larger systems.
Who Should Attend
Tier 2 training is intended for mental health front-line staff, clinicians and educators that have already taken Tier 1 training and have had an opportunity to apply and practice the CPS model.
This course is delivered virtually over 4 half days. Attendance is required each day.