The Respite Training Certificate is an open-entry, self-paced online course. It was designed to prepare individuals to work in respite support situations and also provides a basic level of training for current respite workers. Those who are already working in the field may find it useful to take the course to explore areas they are less familiar with to ensure they have a full understanding of all the skills required.
Module 1: The World of Respite Support: An Overview
Module 2: People You Will Support
Module 3: How to Support a Person in a Meaningful Life
Module 4: Communication
Module 5: Boundaries
Module 6: Personal Care
Module 7: Creating a Positive Environment
Module 8: Confidentiality
Module 9: Health and Safety
Module 10: Abuse
Module 11: Closure
Module 12: Quiz and Summary
Earning Your Respite Certification is an ideal way to strengthen your qualifications as a Respite Care Provider.
The certification is internationally recognized and will provide you with the knowledge you need to begin or improve your respite care journey.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
Describe the role of a respite support provider
- Support a person in a “meaningful life”
- Deploy active listening skills for effective communication
- Define clear boundaries of what should and should not be expected of a respite support provider
- Create a positive environment to handle challenging respite support situations
- Implement good health and safety practices in respite support situations
- Recognize signs of abuse and know the proper procedures to follow in such cases
- Properly bring closure to a respite support relationship