Sometimes the early life trauma for parent/caregivers has an adverse impact on their current family system, specifically on the child/parent relationship, the co-parenting relationship, and the marital dyad. As such, we recognize the importance and benefit of interventions that will engage the parent/caregiver in “doing their work” so that healing and repair can happen for the individual and the family system.
There is clear evidence from research that the Adult Attachment of the parents, particularly the primary caregiver, is a predictor of the Attachment of the child. Parents may take Parenting Courses, but without understanding and integrating their understanding of their Adult Attachment, unresolved issues from their childhood will prevent parents from creating a secure parenting environment, essential for secure infants and children.
The training will help participants learn the Adult Attachment Categories, based on the research of Dr. Mary Main and how each category affects parenting. Participants will learn how to determine a parent’s adult attachment, and how to reflect this to the parents with whom they are working, non-judgementally. The therapy model will help parents understand how their attachment affects their parenting, how to parent from a secure Adult Attachment and how they can redevelop Secure Adult Attachment.
- Categories of Adult Attachment based on the research of Dr. Mary Main
- How each category affects parenting
- How to redevelop Secure Adult Attachment and pass this on to children
This is a valuable and non-judgemental approach to ensure that all children have the potential to become secure adults and for those parents with Insecure Adult Attachments to develop better self-understanding.
Case examples and interactive exercises will be presented.
- Gain an impression of the Adult Attachment of a parent
- Understand how the Adult Attachment Category affects parenting
- Help parents understand their Attachment Category, without self-judgement
- Understand a model of therapy to redevelop Secure Adult Attachment
- Learn Parenting interventions based on Secure Adult Attachment