This Maximizing the Potential of Single Session training offers a focus on the skills and practice relevant to Single Session Therapy. Participants will practice establishing reasonable outcomes for a single conversation and will share, discuss, and consult on skills, approaches, and methodologies for asking questions, managing limited time and expectations, and practicing grounding in working with complex situations.
This course offers opportunities to learn and practice single session skills in different contexts, paying special attention to power dynamics and social location. The sessions will include interaction, learning, reflection, and practice.
This is a 12-hour training, delivered over four 3-hour Zoom sessions with additional resources available at any time on the course site in a learning platform. It is the second training in a three-course series which comprises the Brief Therapy Certificate but can also be taken as a single course.
This course will benefit health practitioners who frequently engage in stand-alone brief conversations with clients, and is designed for practitioners working in brief service delivery formats such as mental health walk-in-clinics, crisis or outreach services, school settings, and community-based mental health organizations.
- Identify key elements of effective single session therapy.
- Implement a Single Session Conversation Guide.
- Manage time effectively and compassionately in Single Session Therapy.
- Develop sensitive and realistic goals with clients in the context of a single session.
- Use techniques to remain grounded and attentive in clinical, single session situations.