Applying a Trauma-Informed and Bio-Psycho-Social approach to care, participants will be introduced to the topic of developmental disabilities and mental health with a focus on Prevention, Assessment and Support. Caregivers and supports will gain a deeper understanding of the effects of mental health concerns as well as how to develop resilience and mental wellness. Participants will be introduced to a variety of assessment and screening tools to assist in understanding challenging situations or behaviours.
This training will review a variety of effective and evidence-based strategies that aim to prevent challenging situations through a strengths-based approach. Training participants will be introduced to a variety of techniques and strategies that will assist in supporting individuals through challenging and/or crisis situations. Understanding the impact of challenging situations for the caregiver, this training will also focus on the importance of self-care to effectively support others through the creation of a self-care tool kit.
Through an interactive approach, participants will work through case studies where they will have an opportunity to apply their learnings. A variety of resources and tools will be provided to each participant for their future use. Should a participant miss a day of training, a recording will be made available upon request.
1. Describe developmental disabilities, mental health problems/disorders, dual diagnosis, and their characteristics.
2. Examine the Bio-Psycho-Social context and mental health well-being of individuals with a developmental disability.
3. Outline and implement a Trauma-Informed Care approach.
4. Apply prevention, assessment, and support strategies in supporting an individual with a developmental disability.
5. Recognize the importance of self-care for the carer.
Who Should Attend
This course is recommended for direct support professionals, caregivers, supports and others that work with people with developmental disabilities.
This course is delivered online as four 3-hour interactive virtual sessions using Zoom. This is a 12-hour training provided over two weeks.