Applying a Trauma-Informed and Bio-Psycho-Social approach to care, participants will be introduced to the topic of developmental disabilities and mental health with a focus on Prevention, Assessment and Support. Caregivers and supports will gain a deeper understanding of the effects of mental health concerns as well as how to develop resilience and mental wellness. Participants will be introduced to a variety of assessment and screening tools to assist in understanding challenging situations or behaviours.
Serving the Mental Health Needs of Persons with a Developmental Disability will review a variety of effective and evidence-based strategies that aim to prevent challenging situations through a strengths-based approach. Training participants will be introduced to a variety of techniques and strategies that will assist in supporting individuals through challenging and/or crisis situations. Understanding the impact of challenging situations for the care giver, this training will also focus on the importance of self-care to effectively support others through the creation of a self-care tool kit.
Through an interactive approach, participants will work through case studies where they will have an opportunity to apply their learnings. A variety of resources and tools will be provided to each participant for their future use.
This course is delivered online as four 3-hour interactive virtual sessions using Zoom. This is a 12-hour training provided over two weeks.
This course is recommended for direct support professionals, caregivers, supports and others that work with people with developmental disabilities.
- Describe developmental disabilities, mental health problems/disorders, dual diagnosis, and their characteristics.
- Examine the Bio-Psycho-Social context and mental health well-being of individuals with a developmental disability.
- Outline and implement a Trauma-Informed Care approach.
- Apply prevention, assessment, and support strategies in supporting an individual with a developmental disability.
- Recognize the importance of self-care for the carer.