Applying a Trauma-Informed and Bio-Psycho-Social approach to care, participants will be introduced to the topic of developmental disabilities and mental health with a focus on Prevention, Assessment and Support. Caregivers and supports will gain a deeper understanding of the effects of mental health concerns as well as how to develop resilience and mental wellness. Participants will be introduced to a variety of assessment and screening tools to assist in understanding challenging situations or behaviours.
This training will review a variety of effective and evidence-based strategies that aim to prevent challenging situations through a strengths-based approach. Participants will be introduced to a variety of techniques and strategies that will assist in supporting individuals through challenging and/or crisis situations. Understanding the impact of challenging situations for the carer, this training will also focus on the importance of self-care to effectively support others through the creation of a self-care tool kit.
Through an interactive approach, participants will work through case studies where they will have an opportunity to apply their learnings. A variety of resources and tools will be provided to each participant for their future use.
- Live Webinars (Zoom), This course is delivered online as 4 interactive webinars over two weeks for a total of a 12-hour training.
- Online learning platform (Thinkific LMS)
Participants will have access to the online learning platform to supplement live sessions to access:
• Downloadable resources and handouts.
• Replay of session recordings.
Participants will be able to:
- Describe developmental disabilities, mental health problems/disorders, dual diagnosis, and their characteristics.
- Understand the Bio-Psycho-Social context and mental health well-being of individuals with a developmental disability.
- Understand and implement a Trauma-Informed Care approach.
- Implement prevention, assessment, and support strategies in supporting an individual with a developmental disability.
- Understand the importance of self-care for the carer.