Based on research following Hurricane Katrina as well as other traumatic world events, this training explores the phenomena of some trauma survivors who have achieved increased resilience, self-knowledge, contentment and strength as a result of their recovery journey.
Participants will review key studies on post-traumatic growth to better understand the factors that support optimal recovery and growth after trauma. Using examples and exercises, participants will explore healthy ways that survivors can respond to trauma to promote growth and development in their own lives.
- Describe the concept of post-traumatic growth including changes in cognition, behavior and self-experience commonly observed.
- Explain how the trauma recovery process and the post-traumatic growth process are interrelated.
- Provide psycho-education about post-traumatic growth without diminishing pain and suffering or challenges stemming from trauma.
- Explore strategies to promote post-traumatic growth and strengthen factors among those they are helping.
- Reflect on personal experiences to illustrate or exemplify the factors and changes associated with post-traumatic growth.